Audrey Watters wrote a good article about Data Science in 2011 for O’Reilly Radar.
Audrey cites three big events / trends:
- Hadoop, an open source distributed computing framework, became ubiquitous.
- More Data, More Privacy Problems – citing the Apple scandal as an example.
- Even Hadoop has warts (gasp!?!111shiftoneone), but so far there are good anecdotes about it working out well for many companies, and, you can expect a few horror stories in 2012.
- The devices we’re carrying and our own behaviors are generating more data than ever – and people – that means you – need to be aware of when they’re consenting to sharing that data.
- Open Data represents an awesome opportunity that I’m very optimistic about, and so much work to make data effectively accessible needs to be undertaken.
I’m Christopher Berry.
I tweet about analytics @cjpberry
I write at christopherberry.ca